For more info go to: http://www.newyorkjets.com/index.html
While watching the game, eat healthy snacks.
Football, pizza, wings and beer seem to go hand-in-hand. Sadly, traditional football watching food fare is loaded in saturated fat, calories, and added salt. Resisting the unlimited supply of snacks and treats at the buffet tables can be a real challenge to your New Year’s health resolutions. With a few healthy substitutions and creative ideas, however, you can still enjoy your favorite game-day snacks and keep the pounds off.
If you’re hosting the game, serve some of the following healthier options:
- Make your own pita chips by baking fresh whole-wheat pitas and cutting into wedges. Serve with hummus, salsa or dips prepared with non-fat yogurt or reduced fat sour cream
- Prepare vegetarian bean chili instead of regular beef chili, or substitute lean ground turkey meat for ground beef.
- Make nachos with baked tortilla chips, reduced-fat cheese, salsa, and fat free sour cream
- Instead of chicken wings, enjoy grilled chicken tenderloins or shrimp skewers with hot sauce and low-calorie Blue cheese dressing
- Crunchy carrot sticks, celery slices, bell pepper strips, sliced cucumbers with fat-free or low-fat dressings, salsa or yogurt dips
- Lite microwave or air-popped popcorn topped with cinnamon, parmesan cheese, curry powder or garlic powder
- Serve baked chips instead of regular chips
- Make a sandwich platter with lean deli meats such as turkey and ham, and low-fat cheeses. Serve with whole-grain hoagies and assorted vegetables (lettuce, tomato, pickles, roasted peppers, etc.). Hold the mayo and use mustard or hummus instead.
- When ordering pizza, ask for less cheese and order vegetable toppings instead of meat, or make your own healthy pizza using pre-baked whole-wheat crust, marinara sauce and fat-free or low-fat shredded cheeses. Top with numerous vegetables such as spinach, broccoli, onions, and mushrooms.
- Cold shrimp with cocktail sauce
- Edamame (serve steamed soy beans in the pod)
- Cold pasta salad tossed with veggies and light Italian dressing
- Fresh fruit platters
- Diet sodas, seltzer, and water
If you’re watching the game at a buddy’s house, try the following 4 tips:
- Hit the gym before you hop on the couch
- Don’t go hungry
- Watch your portions
- Watch the alcohol